At 09:17 PM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
>> Why would delay_key_writes require a table rebuild? It's not
>> modifying the data. Reloading tens of millions of rows for several
>> hours seems to be a waste of time.

It probably flips a bit in the .frm file or something like that, but I
have not investigated it myself.

My guess is that you can "hack" this to do what you want.  We wrote
about this in our book -- you can alter ENUM lists without a table
rebuild, for example.  I'm betting you can do the same thing here.
Rather than describe the whole thing let me show you the blog post
Aurimas wrote about it:

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/10/29/hacking-to-make-alter-table-online-for-certain-changes/

Baron

Baron,
     Yes, that worked. Thanks. :)

It saves me about 4 hours per table and I had 6 tables to do. So I was done in 5 minutes instead of 24 hours.

Mike