I think maybe in the default sql_mode 5.0 is more forgiving when it comes
to accepting invalid values, quietly converting them to the nearest
acceptable value and giving a warning whereas 5.1 gives an error.

Personally i would rather have the data rejected and an error returned
because if MySQL is converting to the nearest acceptable value you are
never 100% sure what MySQL is storing.

The easy way to solve your problem is to modify the column definition. If
you need to store NULL values don't specify the column as NOT NULL.