We have a very large, multi-terabyte database with individual tables that
are over 100Gig.  We have it on a Red Hat Linux system and we set up logical
volumes, take LVM snapshots, then use rsync to move the data over.  This
works well and is a lot faster than dumping and certainly restore is
faster.

--
Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator