At 11:43 PM 1/27/2009, Michael Dykman wrote:
Absolutely, there is a significant speed benefit from using
appropriate date/timestamp will speed up your lookups.  They are
stored not as ints per-se but are binary encoded in a similar manner.
Read this carefully before before you undertake any conversions.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-and-time-types.html

You may also save considerable space..

from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/storage-requirements.html

DATE    3 bytes
TIME    3 bytes
DATETIME        8 bytes
TIMESTAMP       4 bytes
YEAR    1 byte

Michael,
So if I understand it correctly, if I switch from Date to Int(8) 4 bytes to represent 20080125, then the queries should be faster? Because it doesn't have to encode the date to a 3 byte integer or decode it when retrieving the date value?

Mike

 - michael dykman