First off I want to thank anyone who helps.  I know helping new people
trying to install can be a pain but I'll try and cooperate.

I installed Redhat 7.0 with the mySQL packages.  I read that there were
patches for the mySQL install on Redhat so I downloaded the RPM for the
version I had mysqlclient9-3.23.22-3.i386.rpm and it installed fine.  It
still didn't solve the problem.

I created the database with mysql_install_db and that went fine.  When I try
and start the server with safe_mysql & I get..

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
010606 09:59:25  mysqld ended

... so it dies immediately.  I check the /var/lib/mysql/mymachine.name.err
file (real host name appears, not mymachine.name) and see

010606 09:59:25  mysqld started
010606  9:59:25  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
(errno: 13)
010606 09:59:25  mysqld ended

so I check the defaults of mysqld with --help and see,

basedir:     /usr/
datadir:     /var/lib/mysql/
<snip>
Unix socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

so it should be looking for /var/lib/mysql/./mysql/host.frm

# ls /var/lib/mysql/./mysql/host.frm
/var/lib/mysql/./mysql/host.frm

so it seems to be looking in the right place AND the file exists.

So I try this..

# /usr/libexec/mysqld
Fatal error: Please read "Security" section of the manual to find out how to
run mysqld as root!
010606 10:15:41  Aborting

So I drop back to a regular user and get...

$ /usr/libexec/mysqld
/usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/var/lib/mysql/' (Errcode: 13)
010606 10:15:52  Aborting

is this a permissions problem on that directory?