You could bring it down, but the real question is if you really want
to do that? Making the buffers and caches smaller will reduce the
memory used, but it also reduces performance.

Could you tell us what you are hoping to use MySQL for and why you
wanna bring the memory usage down?

Walter

OlinData: Professional services for MySQL
Support * Consulting * Administration
http://www.olindata.com