on 6/7/01 17:58, Zak Greant at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Barry C. Hawkins wrote:
>> Esteemed colleagues,
>> The php list is down, and I am sure someone knows what to do about
> this
>> in this list.  The issue is that I receive the error
>>
>> Parse error: parse error in config.inc.php3 on line 1
>>
>> upon trying to access phpMyAdmin 2.1.0 from the web.  MySQL 3.22.23 is on
>> the same Linux box running Apache 1.36.  Line 1 reads as follows:
>>
>> $cfgServers[1]['host'] = 'localhost';           // MySQL hostname
>>
>> I have tried 'localhost', '127.0.0.1', and 'hostname.com' (name provided
> by
>> ISP who seems fairly clueless).  What painfully obvious thing am I
>> overlooking?
>
> The name of the server is not the issue.  Chances are good that there
> is a syntax error in a line above the spot where config.inc.php3 is
> included.
>
> Try including a different file and seeing if you get the same error.
>
> --zak

Including (they actually use require() ) a different file caused a timeout,
but the syntax is so straightforward I am having trouble spotting the error.
Take a look:

Top of index.php3:
<?php
  // Process config file to determine default server (if any)
  require("lib.inc.php3");
?>
Top of lib.inc.php3:
<?php
/* $Id: lib.inc.php3,v 1.62 2000/07/20 11:15:11 tobias Exp $ */

require("config.inc.php3");

function show_table_navigation($pos_next, $pos_prev, $dt_result)
{
    global $pos, $cfgMaxRows, $server, $db, $table, $sql_query, $sql_order,
$sessionMaxRows, $SelectNumRows, $goto;
    global $strPos1, $strPrevious, $strShow, $strRowsFrom, $strEnd;

    ?>
Top of config.inc.php3:
<?php
/* $Id: config.inc.php3,v 1.28 2000/07/13 13:52:48 tobias Exp $ */

/*
 *  phpMyAdmin Configuration File
 *  All directives are explained in Documentation.html
 */

// The $cfgServers array starts with $cfgServers[1].  Do not use
$cfgServers[0].
// You can disable a server config entry by setting host to ''.
$cfgServers[1]['host'] = 'localhost';           // MySQL hostname

etc. ...
?>

All the require() functions are at the tops of the pages, with almost
nothing but comments in front of them.  The only thing I find odd is that
the ISP has both PHP3 and PHP4 active, and you get one or the other
depending on the extension you use.  However, this should still work.

Any insight

--
Barry C. Hawkins
Systems Consultant, MCSE 4.0