I haven't looked into it in detail an don't have time right nw, but it
is also hardcoded in mysqld_safe. I have seen a case where it had to
be changed there to make it work. try that and please report back :)

Walter

OlinData: Professional services for MySQL
Support * Consulting * Administration
http://www.olindata.com