Aaron,

"
I've currently got a project to migrate a LARGE (3.5TB) MySQL data set from
a Sun SPARC machine to a Sun x86 machine, both running Solaris 10 (though
obviously one is x86 and the other is SPARC).  Is it possible to simply copy
the data files from one host to the other or is a full mysqldump/import
necessary to preserve data integrity?

If a file copy doesn't work, why specificially would it fail?

Thanks,
-Aaron
"

you can simply copy the files, whether InnoDB or MyISAM. As far as I know, all modern processors use the same floating point format. And all integer and other data structures are platform independent in MyISAM and InnoDB.

Best regards,

Heikki
Innobase/Oracle