Hi,
I guess the id_file_set is an INT?

The problem si most likely due to the fact you are comparing integer to
string, which forces MySQL to use type conversion.  For more information
check http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/type-conversion.html

When type conversion occurs MySQL will not be able to use the index and will
have to do a full table scan which can be seen from your explain queries. As
for the 'bogus' case most likely it has been dropped because it cannot be
converted to integer. This case is explained at

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-indexes.html

Hope this helps.

Regards
Dobromr Velev