I am in the process of installing MySQL and PHP on my Mac following instruction in a book written by a chap called David Powers. I have come to a section that is called 'Securing MySQL on Mac OSX'.

Basically it states that MySQL is up and running with a default account of 'root' and it's not password protected and so I need to plug that security gap.

I've always used root as my account when working on PC's but having read this in David's book, I am now concerned; does this mean that I am open to attack from a potential hacker if I don't password protect MySQL?

It mentions that root in MySQL has nothing to do with the root of Mac OSX, but I need to know if MySQL being unprotected in this way has opened a door for hackers.

Thanks