Hi, I just tried this on a local copy of the table with ~500.000 rows:

execute 'ALTER TABLE users MODIFY email VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET latin1 NOT NULL'

The old character set was UTF8. We're doing this to make the index smaller. This took around 45 minutes to complete. In production, we have about 1.000.000 rows. While the production servers are dedicated DB servers in comparison to my MacBook, I'm still concerned that this is going to literally take hours.

How can this be speeded up if at all? Dropping the index first and then recreate?

Br,

Morten