Thanks, Claudio, but that's not quite it.  I'm not writing any procedure.
I'm inserting code into procedures other people write.  I am taking each
procedure out of the mysql.proc table, inserting a few lines of code right
at the start of the body, and saving back into the proc table.  These lines
of code insert a line into my audit table.  I don't have any control over
what other people write, I just want to record when their procedures get
called.

The genral log logs original calls to procedures, but I don't see that it
records calls made to one procedure from within another.