Hey there. I got it working quickly but there were a few issues I
wanted to mention about using a binary distribution.

  First off:

The file /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not
executable

  The binary distribution puts mysqld into bin/ not libexec/, so you'd
think mysql.server from the binary dist would know that. :) Next, if you
don't set basedir in mysql.server manually, this code:

if test -z "$basedir"
then
  basedir=/usr/local/mysql
  bindir=./bin
else
  bindir="$basedir/bin"
fi

  will be unable to find my_print_defaults. I'd like to suggest the
"bindir=./bin" be changed to "bindir=/usr/local/mysql/bin", since if you
are changing the basedir to /usr/local/mysql, then $basedir/bin is where
it should be, more likely than a bin directory local to where the script
is (/etc/init.d/ in this case).

  Finally, pid_file=$datadir/`@HOSTNAME@`.pid doesn't work, since I
assume that is set during install of the source version. I replaced
@HOSTNAME@ with /bin/hostname. I don't know if /bin/hostname is reliable
enough to use as a default, but someplace in the binary dist install docs
it could mention setting that in mysql.server as well as setting the
basedir.

  Thanks,

-Jonathan

---