Go into the my.cnf and increase the connection timeout and see if that fixes it.

Remember. Connection pooling is about reuse and sometimes when the server is using less connections its using the same ones over and over again. Then you get a burst and then connections that haven't been used are then reissued and that's when the problem arrises. Personally I done use the odbc drive for mysql for similar reasons. I use the .net component with connection pooling disabled and manage them myself. (I have specific other reasons for this as well -- custom data cache classes)

I normale use the .net connecter too, but this is a classic .asp application, so ODBC seemed to be my only choice.

I'll try increasing the connection time out and see if that helps.

Does the IIS memory pooling have anything to do with this, or is it a completely separate thing?

Thanks,
Jesse