I'm quite a distance from the best person to answer this question but MySQL
has weekly webinars and there are a ton of good tutorials on the web.

I started with WAMP (LAMP, MAMP and XAMP are suitable alternatives) and just
started reading tutorials.  Then I went to the local discount store and got
a book about MySQL & PHP.  It wasn't the most recent but it was only a few
dollars and the versions were new enough to not be problematic.

I like Half.com for books.  If you have trouble finding tutorials then leave
a message and I'll comb through my bookmarks and see if I can find some that
I used.

Good luck!