Thanks for the resource! Arthur.

SIC seems to be great for most industries, but not for high-tech industries.
(e.g. it doesn't have Internet or software etc) Still a great tip, though.
Thanks again! :)

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:13:51 -0500
Subject: Re: Data structure for matching for company data
From: fuller.art...@gmail.com
To: peter.braw...@earthlink.net
CC: saeho...@hotmail.com; mysql@lists.mysql.com

My esteemed friend, partner and co-author has laid it out perfectly for you.
Just follow the instructions table-wise.

One thing that may not be obvious from Peter's prescription is that you need to
enter a bunch of rows into the industry table first, so that the foreign keys
will make sense in the bridge table. But presumably this is not onerous.

Over here we commonly use a table called SIC (standard industry codes) that has
sub-industries etc. Whenever possible I try to use such standards rather than
make up a new one. For example, there is the ISO country codes standard, which
provides unique two and three letter codes for every country. Yes, thanks to
politics, envy, revenge instinct etc. such country codes from time to time
require updating, but I choose to stick with the ISO standards rather than rely
on my self-invented one and all attendant hassles whenever a country commits
seppukku.

You might consider looking into the SIC code scheme before bothering to invent
your own. You can download this from a number of sources and in a number of
formats. Just Google SIC and you should get there.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

강력해진 보안성, 아웃룩을 닮아 편리해진 기능들로 무장한 Windows Live Hotmail! 지금 로그인해 보세요!
http://www.hotmail.com