Bob,

Your questions are really far too broad for this list.  I will give
them a shot but you wont find them very helpful, I'm afraid.  And the
Kitchen company won't come into it.

  a.. What advantages does a database have over flat-file systems ?

    This could be the subject of an essay.  In fact it is the subject
of tens of thousands of  essays since the mid-70's, starting with Codd
and Date.  You might want to google for an introduction to Relational
Database Management Systems (RDBMS).  Any cursory response on a
mailing list could not begin to do that question justice.

  b.. Are there any disadvantages in switching to a database solution ?
     See answer to question a.

  c.. What is MySQL,  and how does it relate to ASP,
Javascript/VBscript and flat-files ?
      MySQL is a Relational Database Management System.
      ASP is a web development language (one of many) which often uses
RDBMSs to store and retrieve data.
     Javascript/VBscript are client-side scripting languages and,
generally speaking, have nothing to do with the question at hand.
     flat-files are a alternative means of storing and retrieving
data.  They are still in use for certain limited applications.  They
generally are much faster but are *far* less powerful and leave a
whole mes of low-level details in the programmers hands.

  d.. Are there any alternatives to MySQL ?
      Dozens: Oracle, postgresql, Informix, DB2, SQL Server, Ingres, Sybase...

Best of luck researching your report.

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.