Alex,

Please respond to the list instead of my personal address.

Nevertheless, if MYSQL_TYPE_LONG is the datatype for a table field,
it would always -have- to be the same size, cause different clients can
connect (if not being embedded), wouldn't it?

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

  Hi Martijn,

  I made an embedded mysql server. The API for the clients to my server use the
standard mysql client C API. If clients pass bad pointers to the server I don't
want the server to crash. So the server knows about all valid mysql
connections. If a bad mysql pointer is passed in, it can detect that. So when I
save valid pointers when a connection is made I like to save it as a
MYSQL_TYPE_LONG. The client and the server has to run on similar type machines.
64bit client with 64bit server and 32bit client with 32bit server, no mismatch.
The Long size in a 32bit machine is 4 bytes but in a 64bit machine is 8 bytes.
So I wanted to avoid conditionals for building for a 64bit machine.