I'd just write a perl script to do it and return the appropriate status
code/message to nagios.  Shouldn't be hard at all.  PhP or any language that
can talk to mysql would work, too.  You just mentioned the position, you'll
have to compare the names of the binlog files as well: position 100 in file
bin-00010 is ahead of positions 99999 in file bin-00009.

--
Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator