Hello,

I have a rather burly Drupal based site that seems to be causing some
problems, today we had a major outage.  There are many slow queries
and also mysql related iowait that causes server processes to hang, at
least that is the theory.

Here you can examine some of the stats on the server:
http://andric.us/load/localdomain/localhost.localdomain.html

You can see my iowait stats here, which are pretty high:
http://andric.us/load/localdomain/localhost.localdomain-cpu.html

And I have written to quite some lengh about the symptoms here, if you
are curious.

http://forum.slicehost.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3373&page=1
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=543614

But the final conclusion is to use memory rather than disk for mysql's
tmpdir setting.  So my question is, how does one do this in
debian/unix?  Are there any recipes you can share?  Should I use tmpfs
vs ramfs?  Thanks for your help.

--
Milan

ps. I hope it's not too much information but I also thought I would
post my conf file here. I tweaked these according to the tuning script
available here:  https://launchpad.net/mysql-tuning-primer

[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
[mysqld_safe]
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
nice            = 0
[mysqld]
user            = mysql
pid-file        = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port            = 3306
basedir         = /usr
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
language        = /usr/share/mysql/english
skip-external-locking
bind-address            = 127.0.0.1
max_allowed_packet      = 16M
max_connections        = 500
table_cache            = 500
key_buffer              = 256M
thread_stack    = 64K
thread_cache_size = 4
sort_buffer=64K
net_buffer_length=2K
query_cache_limit       = 1M
query_cache_size        = 16M
log_slow_queries        = /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log
long_query_time = 2
log_bin                 = /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log
expire_logs_days        = 10
max_binlog_size         = 100M
skip-bdb
max_heap_table_size = 128M