> I've used a rule of thumb that I was told ages ago when working on other
> databases that inserting records into a non-indexed table is faster
> generally than inserting records into an identical but indexed table.

Makes sense to me, since it has to update the indexes in the latter case.
However the speed gained from not updating indexes is probably lost in the
extra time it would take to query a table that doesn't have the proper
indexes, assuming you query the table somewhat often.

It also shows why too many or unnecessary indexes can slow down inserts to a
database.