I agree, and didn't mean to say that I disagreed. This is certainly one of the
top five principles to follow, imo. Too many times, while trouble-shooting,
I've run up on the rock of a binary (meaning: indecipherable) field.

What is the cost of including the binary representation (for indexing) and also
the readable representation (just for debugging/problem-solving)? (Well, of
course I know what the cost is: it's 12 bytes, plus overhead, per row.)

It all depends, but in general, would you call that too costly, given the
benefit?

-- Pete Wilson
   http://www.pwilson.net/