On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Carlos Proal <carlos.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Check how many root rows do you have on the user table (select * from user
> where user='root';), some times there are several rows with different grants
> and probably you are going through and invalid rule.

I checked and when I ran the command you suggested:

mysql> use mysql;
Database changed

mysql> select * from user where user='root';

I get a bunch of gibberish on the screen but the only thing I can make
out are two entries for root:

| mysql.unixslut.com | root | 6d21bd9609b168e4 | Y           | Y           | Y
| 127.0.0.1                | root | 6d21bd9609b168e4 | Y           | Y

So what does this mean and how can I resolve this? I am trying this
from the machine locally so I would assume localhost works fine...