On May 20, 2009, at 1:27 AM, Webmaster Studio Informatica wrote:

I need to upgrade Mysql 4 to Mysql 5 on Linux.

Sometimes....

I will uninstall version 4 and install version 5.

With uninstallation usually database files remain in /var/lib/mysql/

I want to know if with the installation of Mysql 5 those database will be "recognized and imported" to work with the new version automatically.

In most cases, but you should have a database dump of all of them just in case. You do not specify what version of 4 you are at.

You need to at least read this:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

Specifically look at "Incompatible change", there are quote a few. Most will not bother you. For me, the biggest issue was my use of timestamp, and how that changed a bit. Luckily I had a function that I used in my code to format that timestamp value, so it was just a matter of going through all my code and updating one function to all sites.

This was also only a display issue for me and did not change my data.

You do have to know your code. If you do not, I would use a staging server, and do them one database at a time, test, make sure it works, and go from there.