> [JS] I strongly suspect that MySQL, like any other random access, variable
> record length scheme, would find it easier to manage the internal layout of
> separate files. The rows would tend more to be of similar sizes, leading to
> less obnoxious fragmentation, and the files themselves would be smaller.

Well, again -- it depends.  Here's a good writeup:

http://yoshinorimatsunobu.blogspot.com/2009/05/overwriting-is-much-faster-than_28.html

There's a lot of different things to think about, like which
filesystem you're using.  InnoDB internally uses 16-kb pages so rows
from different tables aren't really intermingled, by the way.