We are running MySQL 5.0.45 on a Linux machine.
Today, when I tried to go into MySQL via the command line, I got an error message: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/usr/local/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock'

The error log was full of the following messages:
InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 11
InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.

We stopped MySQL and started it again and everything seems to be working. However, we would like to understand what happened. The strange thing here is that we are not using InnoDB tables so we don't understand why we are getting InnoDB errors and what it is trying to do with the ibdata1 file.

We do have an ibdata1 file and ib_logfile files. Could it be that we are using InnoDB tables and we don't realize it? Could we have made a mistake somewhere? Is there a way to check this? Can we erase these files?

Any help will be appreciated.

Malki Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot, Israel 76100
Internet: malki.cymbali...@weizmann.ac.il