Hello, everyone. Some of you may be aware that MySQL source and binary
distribution comes with a public test suite. Some documentation on it is
available at http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL_test_suite.html. But it is
terribly lacking, as evidenced by the fact that we have not had one user
submit a bug report in the test suite friendly format. We, of course, like to
think that the reason for the above is that we just do not have that many
bugs (:-)), but I am afraid that another reason is that the people do not
know how to use it.

Another problem is that the people who know how it works are first extermely
busy with a multitude of projects, and on top of that, are not very good at
writing documentation. So it would be really nice if someone could take a
look at whatever info is available in the manual, study the source, play with
it a little bit, appreciate how well it works (:-)), and write a nice, easy
to follow tutorial. The benefits will be mutual:

For you:

* if you find a bug, or even if you have a feature in mind that is not there,
you can sumbit the bug in a form that would be very easy to include into the
test suite, which would increase the speed of fixing bug

* if some feature is critical to your system, and you submit a test for it,
this will make sure that whatever we change, we will never break that feature
on accident in any of our releases. In fact, no developer will ever push a
change to the main repository that will break that feature.
* you will be famous - your name will be in the manual :-)

For other users:

* After reading your tutorial, people will be able to do what you do
* MySQL 4.0 will be better tested and will enter the stable phase much sooner

For us:

* Too many to list, in short, life will be a lot easier :-)

--
MySQL Development Team
For technical support contracts, go to https://order.mysql.com/