Isart Montane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not having any problem on my local computer
>
> mysql> select text,text2 from table1 order by text2 desc;
> +------+-------+
> | text | text2 |
> +------+-------+
> | a    |     1 |
> | �    |     0 |
> +------+-------+
>
> mysql>select text,text2 from table1 order by text2 desc;
> +------+-------+
> | text | text2 |
> +------+-------+
> | �    |     1 |
> | a    |     0 |
> +------+-------+
>
> What Collation are you using? can you send us the table schema?
>
> thx!
> Isart
>

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:48 PM, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca
> <mailto:af.gour...@videotron.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a way to order lists while ignoring the accents?
>     So far, I have found nothing simple; and I need to keep the
>     accents for
>     output.
>     The language is French (and québécois) :-)
>     TIA
>
>     --
>     Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."

Let me put it this way, I am not having the problem. The problem seems
to be withthe way that character encoding is set up on the internet - as
confused and inconsistent as most everything else.
You can put whatever charset you want in the header, in the collations
in your database, your htmls... you see already that the options start
to multiply rapidly... without even considering the browsers. So, I have
tried about all combinations possible and there is no one way to
implement display and use of accents. UTF-8 does not handle them very
well at all; iso-8895-1 doesn't either; you can set the coding on your
browser to whatever you want - when you update or reload the file the
little black diamond devils come back or turn into little blank squares
on IE8... so, do it any way you like... anarchy prevails! ;-)

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."