I don't think it's possible purely with SQL using MySQL. I tried researching
it just a few days ago, and found Oracle supports a clause CONNECT BY ...
PRIOR (more info at http://www.arsdigita.com/books/sql/trees.html) which
does this for you, but it's still in the MySQL todo list
(http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/O/TODO_future.html).

If you are using PHP, I can send you to some code which will accomplish the
same thing.