Mike

>J holding the next integer that T has for S

You mean for each i, the next value of i with that s?

>(U having no row for the last integer of each string).

I do not understand that at all.

PB

Mike Spreitzer wrote:
Suppose I have a table T with two column, S holding strings (say, VARCHAR(200)) and I holding integers. No row appears twice. A given string appears many times, on average about 100 times. Suppose I have millions of rows. I want to make a table U holding those same columns plus one more, J holding the next integer that T has for S (U having no row for the last integer of each string). I could index T on (S,I) and write this query as

select t1.*, t2.I as J from T as t1, T as t2
where t1.S=t2.S and t1.I < t2.I
and not exists (select * from T as t12 where t12.S=t1.S and t1.I < t12.I and t12.I < t2.I)

but the query planner says this is quite expensive to run: it will enumerate all of T as t1, do a nested enumeration of all t2's entries for S=t1.S, and inside that do a further nested enumeration of t12's entries for S=t1.S --- costing about 10,000 times the size of T. There has to be a better way!

Thanks,
Mike Spreitzer