Dear all,

I am running mysql server sharing with apache web server in a box of freebsd
6.4. Hardware spec is roughly as bellow:
CPU: Xeon 3.06GHz x 2
Mem: 4GB

The version of Mysql is 5.1.17_beta, a pre-complied binary package for FreeBSD.

Recently the apache request raises quickly, sometime up to 250~300 requests.
As a result, mysql response so slowly and sometime encounter errors of over
memory or crash tables.

So I try to change my.cnf to make some memory related parameters go up to
twice, but MySQL take 80~90% CPU power. The parameters of my.cnf before and
after changing are flowing (the value commented by # is before)

[mysqld]
port  = 3306
socket  = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 640M #384M
max_allowed_packet = 2M #1M
table_cache = 1028 #512
sort_buffer_size = 4M #2M
read_buffer_size = 4M #2M
read_rnd_buffer_size = 16M #8M
myisam_sort_buffer_size =128M # 64M
thread_cache_size = 16# 8
query_cache_size = 64M#32M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 8
wait_timeout=20
thread_cache = 240#120
max_connection = 350
log-slow-queries = /usr/local/mysql/mysql-slow.log
long_query_time=2

I would like to receive an advice for changing parameters.

Best regards.

Nhat HV