Hi!

The Zend article is somewhat outdated, because it says that MySQL does not
support transactions.

The benchmark the Zend article is referring to is the "TPC-C" benchmark
and the AS3AP-IR-select benchmark financed by Great Bridge LLC, a company
selling support for PostgreSQL.

I have written TPC-C in apostrophes because the benchmark was not
conducted according to the rules of TPC. They found out that
PostgreSQL was performing as well as two commercial databases,
but I believe the test was strictly disk-bound, and all sensibly written
database servers would get the same results.

In the AS3AP-IR-select test after some tuning MySQL was faster for
fewer than 7 users, PostgreSQL for more than 7 users. I think this test
is bound by the speed of the communication software between the client
and the server, because fetching a single row took some 1000 microseconds,
much more than is used internally inside the database server.

On my website http://www.innodb.com I have posted two simple tests
measuring the internal server CPU performance of PostgreSQL-7.1.1
and MySQL/InnoDB-3.23.39. In those tests MySQL/InnoDB is 4 - 11
times faster.

But it is best to run your own tests.

Regards,

Heikki Tuuri