As a followup, simply logging to stderr prints to the $host.err in the
mysql data directory, which is good enough for my purposes.

In case anyone else is curious, when experimenting I found I could use
my_printf_error to return errors to the console where I inserted the
bad data.  But, that didn't log anything to the permanent log.  The
only trick about using my_printf_error was getting the header includes
correct -- I needed mysql/my_global.h first.