Try doing a "SHOW INDEX FROM orders" and look at the cardinality
column. These are the stats MySQL uses to determine which index to
use. Sometimes they aren't always update properly and you may need to
run ANALYZE on the table.

But, you can also tell MySQL to use the index you want.
SELECT * FROM orders USE INDEX (index_a) WHERE ...

Brent Baisley