From: Alexander Kolesen [mailto:kolese...@mail.by]
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:10 AM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Table advice.

Hello.
Your query performs a full table scan, because if you match text with '%...'
wildcard, MySQL can't using index. Try to use external full-text
search engines like Sphinx (http://www.sphinxsearch.com/) or Lucene
(http://lucene.apache.org).
> I have a database that I am (will) be using to track URL's. The table
> structure looks like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE event
> (
>   eid           INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>   timestamp     INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
>   ip            INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
>   fqdn          VARCHAR(255),
>   domain        VARCHAR(63),
>   tld           VARCHAR(63),
>   action        VARCHAR(4),
>   request       TEXT,
>   referrer      TEXT,
>   client        VARCHAR(255),
>   INDEX eid (eid),
>   INDEX timestamp (timestamp),
>   INDEX ip (ip),
>   INDEX fqdn (fqdn),
>   INDEX domain (domain),
>   INDEX tld (tld)
> );
>
> The is no real logic behind the indexes, the table was hobbled
> together looking at examples. Currently I am trying queries on about
> 300 million records and the results are pretty crappy. for example, a
> query like this:
>
> select domain,count(domain) as count from event where domain like
> '%facebook%' group by domain order by count desc;
>
> takes about 5 minutes to complete.
>
> Most of the queries will be like that above but probably with
> additional filters like date constraints or IP constraints or a
> mixture of both. I can also see searches through the requests for
> filetypes etc.
>
> Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.