Hi Jorg,

I  really appreciate your help sharing your experience/thoughts.

Yes, i fully concur with you,  NFS is not designed for Databases. But
you know there are Distributed SAN file systems (that use Direct IO to
the SAN) are serving  databases like DB2 in many installations for
shared storage. NFS cannot match its performance...due to its added
latency. But you know ORACLE has added a direct NFS support to its
storage, that has no file system caching, and is far better than
native NFS client driver.

My goal here is to make NFS works much better, as a thin layer,
optimized for Database IO by developing a new NFS stack in a clustered
environment, as part of the clustering intelligence itself.

If any one is   aware of such efforts please share it with me   ( That
way we can avoid duplicate efforts  and we can just complement what
they are not doing )

Thanks

--
Best regards,
Peter Chacko

NetDiox computing systems,
Network storage & OS  training and research.
Bangalore, India.
www.netdiox.com
080 2664 0708