OK, thanks, that got me in.  But upon inspection, the user.host
values do not look fouled up as I thought they were (it appears
the bogus update may have aborted).  But my access problem
remains

If I start with --skip-grant-tables, 'show databases' shows all
DBs.  But without that flag, I only see the 'information_schema'
DB.

Any suggestions as to where I look from here?