Hello Manasi,

Manasi Save wrote:
Hi All,

Can anyone provide me any input on in what all senerios one can get this
error. I have innodb tables, I am updating one table but I am getting
error lock wait timeout try restarting transaction. Also the parameter
innodb_lock_wait_timeout is set to 50 default. what will be the effect of
increasing the limit of this parameter.

InnoDB locks entire tables only on very rare occasions. What you are running into is a scenario where one transaction is using the row you want to change in another transaction and the first transaction fails to complete itself (commit or rollback) within the lock wait timeout limit.

For more information on InnoDB locking, please read through:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-transaction-model.html

My suggestion is to use shorter-lived transactions or to raise your timeout value to something high enough to allow your current transactions to complete.

Yours,
--
Shawn Green, MySQL Senior Support Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Inc.