You should store the current user id in a session variable. Then you
don't have to hit the database at all.

There really is no short way of doing it. Normally you would create a
function (i.e. runQuery) that you pass the query too. Then it handles
running the query, fetching the data, error checking, etc. That way
you don't have to rewrite the same lines every time you want to run a
query.

Brent Baisley