Hello,

I need to create a system where records are generated by a "producer" process
and processed by several "worker" processes.

I was thinking about something like:

Producer:
1) Producer INSERTs new records with "state" = "new" & "worker" = "null"
2) Producer sleeps and loops back to step #1

Worker(s):
1) Worker UPDATEs all records with "worker" = "pid" & "state" = "working" where
"state" == "new"
2) Worker SELECTs all records where "worker" = "pid" & "state" = "working"
3) For each record that is done, worker updates record with "state" = "done"
4) Worker loops back to step #1

Note: In this scheme the worker winds up with all "new" records generated since
the last worker claimed any. Not sure how else to guarantee atomicity. I would
prefer "only n records per request". Ideas?

I am sure something like this must have been before....  Can anyone point me to
example code, libraries, and/or refinements on the scheme?  (preferably using
python...)

Thank you,
:)