Hi all,

I've got a quite large database (23G) that is running on a 5.0.32
version of MySQL.  I really want to upgrade out of 5.0.32 to the
latest version of 5.1 (or even 5.4) but a straight mysql_upgrade of
the database takes long enough that I'd have serious down-time issues
(last time I benchmarked the upgrade it came in at over day).

To try and work around this I wanted to set up binary replication from
my current database (as master) to a new database.  This has meant
that I have run across bug #24432
(http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=24432) which means that replication
is broken from my current version to versions above 5.0.34.

The bug listing includes the following replication table:

          master  (-inf, 5.0.23)        [5.0.24, 5.0.34]      [5.0.36,+inf)
slave
(-inf, 5.0.23)    BUG#20188             both bugs, no error   BUG#20188
[5.0.24, 5.0.34]  this bug, no error    no bug                this bug, no error
[5.0.36, +inf)    no bug                this bug, error       no bug

which seems to indicate to me that there's no way out of the version
I'm running aside from a mysql_upgrade.

Does anyone have experience of this bug, or of any options I have that
wouldn't require a significant outage ?

Cheers
Dave