Hi everyone --

I'm pretty new to MySql, but not many years ago I was an ISAM guy so I
understand the issues with indexes and on-the-fly inserts.

I've seen many questions around this error message, "Access denied; you need
the RELOAD privilege for this operation." But I'm not grokking the answers.

Is it true that I cannot get all the privs I need on a database that I have
created?

If so, then what's a reasonable way for MySql users to get around this
restriction?

In my particular case, cPanel tells me "MySQL version 5.0.81-community." I have
a table "usrs" in my ISAM DB into which I want to insert a row. I execute this
C-connector code before the insert:

  err = mysql_query( pmysql, "lock table usrs write;" );
  err = mysql_query( pmysql, "flush table usrs;" );

The error return from "flush table" is "Access denied; you need the RELOAD
privilege for this operation"

After the insert (which completes without error) I execute the "flush table"
call again prior to issuing "unlock tables;" The error return to the second
"flush table" is likewise "Access denied."

I think I understand (from reading the net) that only root can grant RELOAD
privs. So of course the many responses to this question everywhere often begin,
"It's so very simple! Just login as root and ..." :-)

Since I'm on a shared-host ISP, I need to get the admin to grant me RELOAD
privs. But it seems that RELOAD priv is a MySql-wide priv, not a per-database
or per-user priv. So no admin will go for that.

The other alternative, I guess, is for me to ask the admin to execute a "flush
table" on my table from time to time, every few days, say.

Do I have the correct understanding of the situation? And how do people usually
deal with this error?

Thanks so much! I apologize for the newb-level question and really appreciate
your help.

-- Pete