If just view people can access MySQL in port 3306 you can set in firewall to
not accessible from all host except the host which you list.

If very wide people need the MySQL, like in hosting provider, I think you
can use application which make people can manage MySQL via server such as
PHPMyAdmin, and you can close MySQL to access from outside the LAN.

cmiiw.