Jerry,

I want to find the newest note (if any) for each customer.

See "Within-group aggregates" at http://www.artfulsoftware.com/infotree/queries.php <http://www.artfulsoftware.com/queries.php>

PB

-----

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
It must be too late in the week...

Suppose table Cust has one field, CustID. Suppose table Notes has four fields:
NoteID (unique), CustID, NoteTime, and NoteText.

A customer can have zero or more notes. Now here's the seemingly simple problem
that I'm trying to solve: I want to find the newest note (if any) for each
customer.

If all I want is the date, then I can do

SELECT Cust.CustID, MAX(Notes.NoteTime) FROM Cust LEFT JOIN Notes ON
Cust.CustID = Notes.Cust_ID GROUP BY Cust.CustID;

That will work just fine, but now I also want the NoteText associated with the
newest note. Obviously I can't use MAX(NoteText). I could do this using a
temporary table, but it seems like there should be another way.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz

195 Farmington Ave.

Farmington, CT 06032