From: Tim Gustafson [mailto:t...@soe.ucsc.edu]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 2:44 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Master/Slave Replication Question

> Another thought would be at the application layer, sending
> all the updates (insert,delete, update, etc) to server A,
> and the selects to the local slave servers.

This has been suggested before, and I'm totally against it.  Applications like
PHPBB, Drupal, WordPress, etc can't be easily configured to do this, and I'd
really like to use those applications in a more robust and redundant
environment.

Pushing the work of this sort of master/slave relationship to the application
level means that most applications will not support it.  Replication is a
database server problem, not an application problem.

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
t...@soe.ucsc.edu