Mark Phillips wrote:
I am new at database design, and my question relates to the trade-offs
between putting all data in one database or several for mysql. For example,
say I have an application where a users login from their mobile phones and
read/write data to a database. Say there are roughly 10-15 tables in the
database and each user will add approximately 20,000 records per year. Each
user should not have access to data from another user. Users have to
register in some way to create their database in the first place. When does
it make sense to give each user their own database versus putting all the
data into one database (ie one set of tables) and with multiple userIDs? 10
users? 1,000 users? Never?

It's not so much how many users you have (though that may be a question of data storage more than databases) as to what are they doing? Are the actions related? If they are, then have one database with each user having access to their records and their records only, which can easily be done with terms of database security..