Hello
I have a table with a compound primary key (a1,a2) and I want to
insert a record (b1,b2) in th cases where there's no a1 value matching
b1, and if there's already a b1 value in the form (b1,c2) then just
update it so that it turns into (b1,b2).

So, If I want to insert-update the record "(a1,b2),b3" the two cases would be:

a) record "(a1,a2),a3"  exists and has a matching "a1"
--update-to-->    "(a1,b2),b3"
b) there doesn't exist any record matching a1
----insert--->      "(a1,b2),a3"

This would be trivial if the primary key was only "a1", (REPLACE would
do the job) however, I need "a2" as a primary key in my model, because
it's possible to have different records with the same "a1" if they
have different "a2".

I could do this by doing a SELECT on the key, then doing an UPDATE if
anything comes back, and INSERT otherwise.  But this seems rather
clunky, and I'm wondering if there is any other way that's preferred
for doing this operation.

Thank you very much in advance

--
Fernando