Hi,

I've spent the last few days trying to set up basic Master > Slave replication with auto-backup on the Slave:

Xserve G5 (10.4.11 Server)  -->  PowerMac G5 (10.5.8 Client)
-- Both running MySQL 5.1.39 64-bit PowerPC

I've followed the docs and several online articles meticulously, and got replication seemingly working -- with one problem: I can't get a valid mysqldump of the database from the Slave.

1. If I run mysqldump on the slave immediately after loading it with a snapshot of the Master (but before running "start slave;"), the mysqldump exports the database OK.

2. If I run mysqldump on the slave after having started synchronization (start slave;) and then stopping slave -- mysqldump doesn't work. It reports errors of duplicate keys and sometimes damaged tables.

3. If I run mysqldump on the Master, in any case, at any time, mysqldump successfully exports the database with no problems.

So... The slave data is okay, until replication is started, then it's screwed up. If I run "mysqlcheck -ao --auto-repair" on the Slave, I get all kinds of duplicate keys and reports of damaged tables. Mysqlcheck run on the Master returns no errors.

I've been reading everything I can and racking my brains, and can't figure out what I'm missing. To be clear: Before running mysqldump on the slave, I run "slave stop;". And in the beginning, to get both Master and Slave in sync, I've tried both LOAD DATA FROM MASTER and running mysqldump on the master, then loading the .sql file into the Slave (having noted the binary log and position, etc. of the master already, and doing flush tables with read lock; etc., etc.)

Any ideas? I would really love to be able to run replication (which I know a zillion people are all over the world, in configurations far more complex than mine) and do mysqldumps on the slave, thereby sparing a big spike on the master. I feel like the solutions is close... but still out of reach.

...Rene