On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 07:45:11PM -0400, Michael Dykman wrote:
> The type of password instability you are talking about is pretty much
> unheard of in MySQL..

Yeah, well, I can have a real black thumb for this sort of thing :-)

I'm sure I read about at least two different ways to add passwords.  I
don't know... usually, it works, but on this particular machine... I
just tried to connect asa root again, and it's rejecting the password
that I KNOW I set... it's written down.  I am not mistyping it.  I'm
copy-and-pasting from the same text that I used to set the password.

I just don't know how to get MySQL to tell me exactly what it's unhappy
about.  I'm going to go and reset the root password again, and it'll
work for a while... but tomorrow, it almost certainly will not work
again, and I'll have to go back and reset it *again*.

> however, reverse DNS resolution is always
> messing up depending on the network setup.   From a console on your
> database host, how easily can you resolve the hostnames that your

The web server and database server (both VMs under VMware ESXi) each
have two network interfaces... one public, and one private.  The private
interfaces are connected to a private VLAN on a virtual switch that is
only for these two servers.  MySQL only listens on 172.16.1.1, and the
web server connects to that IP.  On each host, I have a hosts entry for
the other.